Friday, June 11, 2010

Curriculum - 6 + 1 Writing - at Jay Middle School

June 10, 2010, was the last 6 + 1 Writing Traits in-service day for Jay Middle School teachers this year.  We spent the day finalizing the 6+1 writing curriculum, now in place from grades K-8.

This has been an exciting year for us as a team.  Teachers and students have developed an enthusiasm and focus around writing, supported by a coordinated curriculum embedded in authentic teacher units and integrated across the curriculum.  This has been a time consuming process, but has been well worth it for the students in the Jay school district.


We are hopeful the district will support moving the curriculum and training up through grade 12 next year.


A thank you  goes out to:

  1. The staff development committee, Donna Labbe, chair
  2. The superintendent, Dr. Robert Wall,
  3. The school Committee, Mary Redmond-Luce, chair
 and a special thank you goes to the teachers:
  • Nancy Grimaldi
  • Diane McDonald
  • Lynn Oullette
  • Cherie Parker
  • Judi Richard
  • Colleen Shink
  • Susan Sandler.
Together we make a difference.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

The six (plus one) traits will always be a part of my language arts lessons. I'm happy for all I have learned during the past year. Thanks everyone!

Cherie said...

As a special education teacher, the 6+1 writing traits has helped foster the writing process in those that were so sure they "couldn't"! When I started this I thought there was no way I could use it in my classroom because of the abilities, behaviors, you name it, I had it! By June, they had all written fabulous stories!! I definitely can see, and teach, the writing process in a whole new way! Thank you to all of my wonderful colleagues! The things you do in your classrooms are amazing and I loved having the chance to hear about them!

Cherie said...

The 6+1 writing traits has helped me to see and to teach the writing process in a new way! Thank you to my colleagues for sharing your work! The things you do in your classrooms are amazing and I enjoyed having the time to hear about them as well as to listen to the beautiful pieces of student writing!

marry said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Dissertation Methodology