Saturday, September 21, 2013

Here are some September updates - courtesy of Corbett Harrison.


I'll bet just about everyone's back in session now, so two updates for two of our "Start in September" projects:
  • MTotY:  When we announced the "Mentor Text of the Year" program last week, there was a rush at Amazon, at although it looked like they had run out of their stock and store, they seem to be stocked up again.  September's lesson of the month was partly inspired just by the book's cover, and November and December's lessons will cite continued inspiration from this book's big ideas.  This book is about inspiring one's writers to explore expository writing while examining one's own beliefs and experiences.  If you didn't acquire a book yet, there is still plenty of time until November 1, plenty of time to find a copy and read it through for ideas.  I choose the MTotY book each year based on an area I need to personally improve as a teacher, and then I integrate that book's inspiration into many of my own lessons or lesson revisions, which become the "Lessons of the Month" you receive.  This year, I am increasing my strategies with authentic expository writing lessons, and this book is a perfect fit for my style of teaching; join me this year in integrating its ideas into your classroom.  There is still time.
  • "Time Transitions in History" Slides:  We now have an official blog post about my teaching colleague and friend, Sue Gonyou, was inspired to create her first-ever project that she wants to offer online.  Sue is a math and history teacher on our team, and she is dream to teach with.  Tonight, she sends out the first 1/4 of her "Time Transitions in History" set of slides; it will eventually have 365 slides in it.  You have to order a subscription to be included, but there are still a week's worth of free-to-use slides offered at the webpage just below.  If you know a history teacher who might want to try out Sue's slides this week, please e-mail them this website address: http://corbettharrison.com/Sue-Gonyou.htm
Also, I joined Pinterest in May, and it's where I have decided I will be storing all of my student samples and links to the new lessons this year.  If you also use Pinterest, I invite you to follow me here:  http://pinterest.com/corbettharrison/boards/
Have a great Sunday, everyone.  And may your Monday at school be inspirational!
--Corbett Harrison
Bookmark and Share

No comments: