Sunday, September 21, 2014

The deadline below has been extended by 10 days. Enjoy. Courtesy of the Harrisons.

Those of you who've been using our complimentary preview of our popular Sacred Writing Time slide set (they're being used on six continents now!), don't forget the last day in the preview is this Monday, September 15, which is "International Day of Democracy."
Oh...but wait!  I have to give you a few more slides to try out: September 15-19 Slides (They're in PDF format.)
Why four more slides, Corbett?  I just can't let you who don't have the whole set of slides not enjoy the national holiday on our Friday, September 19 Slide: "National Talk Like a Pirate Day"  I don't know who invents these holidays, but I always get such funny writing from my kiddos on that day, like this ten-minute sacred writing sample from then-7th-but-now 8th grader Chaz, who loves to read his writing out loud when he can use funny voices and bad accents!  Check out that student sample link from Chaz.  Trust me.  Repin it, if you're a Pinterest person. You can see first-hand what happens when my kids really like their ten minutes of writing sacredly--they take their notebooks home and decorate the page, creating what will surely be one of their "stand-out" pages in their writer's notebooks!  Stand-out pages set the bar pretty high when we start talking about what quality writer's notebooks look like.  This Friday will be a good day to get some possible stand-out pages going.
So I've attached several bonus slides to this e-mail as a PDF file (which will give you the SWT slides for September 15-19), and I hope you'll use them every day this upcoming week to inspire ten awesome minutes of fluency-building writing time.  I'm probably going to warn my kids on Monday what holiday is coming up Friday, and I'll bet many of them start preparing early on what their pirate-worthy writing will be about; I might even offer an extra credit prize (from my bucket of silly prizes) for anyone who arrives for sacred writing on Friday wearing an eyepatch or a parrot, and you watch, they'll do it!  My kids like SWT time that much!
Anyway, those without the set of SWT slides, this is the last chance you have to see if you think they might work at inspiring your writers.  Use these September 15-19 Slides and have a great week of Sacred Writing!
                   --Corbett & Dena Harrison (http://corbettharrison.com)
P.S.  If you've been setting up a solid writer's notebook program since school started, don't forget I announced a Writer's Notebook Metaphor Contest last week; Monday might be a great day to introduce it, and I posted samples that would help you introduce it.
P.S.S.  A final reminder this year that my colleague and friend--Sue Gonyou--created a set of SWT-like slides to use during her classroom history and social studies time.  I enjoyed watching her use those slides with her own kids last week. She has them posted at my website too.  Just click on her name above to visit her page!
Visit Writing Lesson of the Month Network at: http://writinglesson.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network
Bookmark and Share

No comments: