Sunday, October 2, 2016

A message for you from Corbett Harrison.


I kept this month's lesson short and sweet!  It's a write-up for a new addition my students can use Vocabulary Workshop writing assignments.
when they complete their
This month's lessonWord Art.  
I am most excited to share the mentor text that I have used in the lesson to anchor the idea of visually representing good words in my students'minds.  I am sending special thanks to Ohio teacher Amy Tomlinson for letting me know about Jim Tobin's picture book The Very Inappropriate Word.  It was a total hit with my student writers, and it helped them understand the concept of visually representing a tier-2 vocabulary word.
Thanks for all of you who participated in establishing Writer's Notebooks and sharing ideas throughout September.  I am determined to really make September be recognized as Writer's Notebook Month in the future.  I have my kids investigating for me the process of making a national holiday, but I worry once they know, they're going to try to propose some goofy ones just so we can add them to our Sacred Writing Time slides.
_____________________________________________
I hope your October is an excellent one.  I am recovering from ankle surgery for two more weeks, so I have been designing some instructional videos on YouTube for teachers about differentiated instruction and some of my favorite techniques for writing across the curriculum.  As soon as I have a few more samples to share, I will let you know how to find those videos.  
Also, our next contest is coming up in November: Rhe-TURK-ical Triangles   If you missed out on participating in the Writer's Notebook metaphors this month, it's never early to start planning your students' participation for November!
--Corbett (and Dena) Harrison -- Always Write website
Visit Writing Lesson of the Month Network at: http://writinglesson.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network
To control which emails you receive on Writing Lesson of the Month Network, click here

Bookmark and Share

No comments: